Increasingly, tough policy questions are being resolved by a vote of the people, rather than through the legislative process. Ballot initiatives therefore are becoming more impactful to business and addressing them successfully requires a specialized set of political and campaign skills and experiences.
Our ballot initiative campaigns are designed and managed by campaign veterans who know and understand the intricacies of elections and how to navigate to a victory. Our services begin with a careful study of the issue, the electorate and any previous public votes that might provide insight into how our client’s issue might fare. Early in the process, we will design and commission a poll that will help us determine optimal messaging, preferred timing (a general or off cycle election), credible messengers and the most effective communication vehicles and channels. If necessary, we can assist in forming a political action committee, a fundraising mechanism and a campaign finance reporting process. From there we will design and manage a campaign that typically consists of paid and earned media, digital outreach, direct mailings, events, signage and an aggressive field component.
Our Ballot Campaigns Toolbox:
- General Consulting: Our team of seasoned political professionals, former elected officials and journalists understand the ins and outs of communities in the Pacific NW. We have experience and knowledge to understand how a campaign works. As general consultants, our job is to focus on the overall goals of the campaign and work with your team to ensure it is excelling in day to day operations, and that it achieves short-term goals in order to win.
- Campaign Management: This can often be confused with general consulting, but a campaign manager is a separate and important role. Campaign managers typically work directly for a political action committee and report to a steering committee and general consultant. At Hubbell, we have experienced professionals who can be deployed to run the day to day operations of a campaign, including finance, media relations, outreach and field. Whether working with our own team, or your choice of campaign manager, we have the resources necessary to ensure victory.
- Message development: Message development is the cornerstone of everything we do. If the message isn’t right, nothing else will be. We use our instincts and years in the business to develop message platforms that will win for our clients. When budgets and timelines allow, we work with some of the best researchers in the country to develop effective messaging for our clients.
- Content/Collateral development: There is an increasing amount of competition for peoples’ eyes, ears and minds. To ensure our clients’ information punches through the clutter, we use our expertise to break down complex information into digestible and relevant bites of information to appeal to each target audience. We work to make your content “sticky” and memorable through the use of infographics, videos and other creative approaches.
- Media Relations: The media business isn’t only about identifying a compelling story and angle. It’s also about personal connections and relationships. We help make those connections and correspond with news anchors, editors and reporters to ensure your story is heard.
- Field Operations: This is the arm of the campaign responsible for making sure the campaign message reaches the public through direct voter contact. We design cutting edge strategies to reach voters through door knocking, phone calls and social media, persuading them on the issue and identifying their strength of support. During get out the vote, we employ a robust turnout effort to mobilize our supporters to cast ballots, ensuring you have the votes to win on election day.
Looking for expertise in ballot campaigns? Read up on our tips and tricks on our blog: What We’ve Learned About Campaign Management.
To learn more, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 503-796-3013.